On Monday, March 10th the Adwords blog announced the release of a new ad extension called Google Dynamic Structured Snippets.
What are Dynamic Structured Snippets?
According to Google:
“dynamic structured snippets are additional text that automatically shows with your search ads, highlighting industry-specific, structured information about your products and services. “
Dynamic structured snippets are an automated ad extensions that show details from your website that highlight promotions, services, products, or features that provide more context about your business. Does this sound familiar? It should. It is essentially an automated version of the current Call-Out Extensions. They are available for ads targeting English globally. They currently only are available for campaigns opted into “Search Network only” or “Search Network with Display Select.”
Prediction: Dynamic Structured Snippet Extension might replace Call Out Extensions
I’m going to make a prediction. I think that dynamic snippets ad extension is a step in the right direction for automating rich content in paid search ads… However, my prediction is that in the next 12 months Dynamic Structured Snippets will replace Call-Out Extensions. Why? Because the adoption of Call-Out extensions has been slow AND Google has slowly been releasing features that remove the control from the advertiser and puts the control in the hands of Google.
Is this a good or a bad thing? It depends. I believe removing call out extensions it is not to the advantage of the advertiser because there are specific features and product benefits we might want to call out that differentiate our product from our competitors. The benefit to call out extensions is that you can specify the exact features and benefits that are highlighted with the ad extension. With dynamic generated snippets Google is going to choose what it deems is the most valuable and most relevant which might not match with what you as a marketer would want to highlight.
The Pros: Dynamic Structured Extension
- Increases adoption rate of ad extensions.
- Does not require additional manpower to create, optimize and update content for extensions.
- Ad extensions help improve CTR, so Google will likely see more click revenue when snippets are enabled.
- Dynamic snippets opt in/opt out process is quick and easy. Use this form.
The Cons: Dynamic Structured Extension
- Removes advertiser control for marketing message.
- Puts the trust in Google understanding your unique value proposition.
- There is no transparency on how Google decides what to highlight
- There is no current on-page SEO mark-up structure to provide Google with insight on what and advertiser would like to be featured for the snippet.
So what are your thoughts or predictions for the new Structured Snippets?