Those who have gone through big launches before are likely familiar with the anxiety, hair-pulling, and red-eye work nights that come along with it. Never fear! Here are some tips and tricks to survive a big launch.
1. Stay Organized
Keep lists of things you have left to do, what has been completed, and things that are TBD. Whether you use your Outlook Calendar, OneNote, or a moleskin planner, it’s important to be able to quickly identify the next steps and reorganize if need be. Grab some highlighters and Post It notes if color coding works better for you.
Focus on the tasks that are most impactful on your bottom line and then proceed by fine tuning your campaigns.
3. Communicate and Work as a Team
Always keep the team in the loop with your progress, let them know if you need additional help or if there is an outstanding item that still needs to be addressed. Someone may have extra bandwidth to save you the time, energy and stress, so take advantage of it!
4. Avoid Distractions
Turn off the TV if you’re working from home, set your status to ‘Do Not Disturb’, and put on some tunes if people around you start chit chatting. Put your phone away so you’re not bombarded with incoming texts, Facebook messages, and other notifications.
5. Manage Time Efficiently
Instead of simply waiting for things to load, figure out what can be done in the meantime to speed up the process. Build out an ad copy bulksheet while your campaigns, ad groups and keywords are loading. If you’re especially talented at multi-tasking, try getting reports and other quick tasks for other clients completed ahead of time to free up your calendar. A lot of 10-15 minute tasks can add up quickly!
6. Take Care of Yourself
We’ve all heard these suggestions before, but it’s easier said than done! It’s hard to get away from your desk, but you’ll thank yourself later. Remember the following:
- Get plenty of sleep. This may seem impossible, but try turning off all electronics at least an hour before bedtime. These devices stimulate your brain and may prevent you from falling asleep as early as you’d like.
- Drinks lots of H2O. Staying hydrated keeps your mind sharp, your mood stable and your motivation intact. You can also think through problems more easily.
- Take Emergen-C when you start feeling stressed. Studies have shown that stress lowers your immune system, so why take the risk of getting sick in the middle of a big launch? Prep your body ahead of time.
- Make sure to take a break when needed. Walk around the block periodically if you need a mental recharge. Take advantage of your lunch – this means you should actually leave your desk or even the office to eat and unwind!
- Make quality time for yourself. Hit the gym, spend time with family and friends, read a book, or watch a good movie.
By following these guidelines, you’ll be able to minimize the stress that comes along with a big product launch and reduce your chance of making errors along the way!