Point Taken – Top 5 Digital Marketing Articles of the Week
The first full week of August is behind us, and dominating the news right now is the internet giant we’ve all come to know and love – Google. With big changes, new releases, and a rumored update, Google continued to make headlines all week long. Check out our top 5 articles this week and see what all the commotion is about.
Google Starts Giving a Ranking Boost to Secure HTTPS/SSL Sites by Barry Schwartz @rustybrick
- Google announced Thursday morning that going HTTPS (by adding a SSL 2048-bit key certificate on your site) will help your ranking. However, Google claims that the result is a very small benefit, and that it has an impact on “fewer than 1% of global queries.” Here’s what you need to keep in mind when switching from HTTP to HTTPS.
What Happened after Google Pulled Author and Video Snippets by Cyrus Shepard @cyrusshepard
- Google has made some pretty big changes in the last two months. They’ve removed authorship photos, reduced video snippets, and made changes to local packs and in-depth articles. To determine the effects of these changes, Moz has monitored their own URLs – looking particularly at how each change has effected traffic to their sites. Which results were the most surprising? Check out this article to learn more about their findings.
- Google’s “Pigeon” update continues to spark discussion and intrigue search engine marketers. Without any official word from Google, Shotland helps is sift through some of the fundamental changes and their effect on search results.
20 Google Facts & Stats that Every Marketer Should Know by Andrew Garberson @Garberson
- When it comes to online marketing, there is no company quite as influential as Google. This article takes us through 20 facts and stats about Google, some of which are quite staggering. $44 billion in ad revenue anyone?
- This week Google announced the launch of their News Publisher Center. The new tool gives publishers more control over how Google indexes their sites, allowing updates to site details and section URLs. Here, Southern goes into detail on how the Publisher Center works and shows us how to get started.
Be on the lookout for next week’s article round-up with more exciting news, articles, and points taken. Happy Friday, and enjoy the weekend!
– Point It