US holidays are approaching and the majority of domestic PPCers are getting ready for another, hopefully, great season; International Paid Search campaign managers are not resting either and are also looking for ways to grow their revenue. For anyone who is running paid search ads in Yandex, we summarized YA major roll outs for the second half of 2014 that each advertiser should be aware of in order to manage campaigns effectively and to stay competitive.
New Modes for Additional Relevant Phrases
While in the past an advertiser had only one mode for additional relevant keyword phrases, he/she can now select from three modes — minimum, optimal or maximum – to specify the level of expansion for the key terms.
- Minimum mode takes into account phrases of similar meaning. By selecting this mode the system will serve ads for search queries with close synonyms and misspellings. For example, if an advertiser is bidding on the keyterm Redmond rmc-m4502 and Minimum mode is selected, ads will be shown for queries with redmond rmc m4502, redmond rmc m terms in them.
- With Optimal mode (enabled by default) even more additional phrases will be added to completely cover your target audience. For example, for the active keyword dishwasher repair, the following relevant phrases could be added – dishwasher broken drain valve, where to repair my dishwasher etc.
- With Maximum mode, all possible variants will be added to get as many clicks as possible. For example, for the “home remodeling” keyword ad will be served for additional phrases such as wall paint, hardwood floors, wallpaper application etc
Things to keep in mind:
- The system will automatically turn off additional phrases that don’t perform well.
- An advertiser can easily control cost by adjusting budget allocation on additional phrases (campaign level setting).
- To avoid clicks for a specific phrase, it should be added as an account level negative.
- An advertiser can get the complete report on additional keyword phrases performance in campaign Statistics in “Additional Relevance Keyword Phrases” tab or by generating a statistical campaign report and selecting “Additional relevant phrases in campaign (.xls)” for report type.
Account Quality Index
Starting in August 2014, special block with account quality index is displayed in Yandex.Direct UI. Account Quality Index represents an overall rating of all your Yandex. Direct campaigns. Scores are assigned on the scale from 0 to 10 based on how effective ad settings are.
What is really helpful is that the system does not only display your score but also gives recommendations on how to improve it. For example, it tells what a campaign manager can do to increase target audience reach or to noticeably increase clicks. All suggestions are based on campaign settings, thus different advertisers see different recommendations.
Average Ad Position in Report Wizard
In the Report Wizard an advertiser can now access statistics for average ad display positions and ad clicks. The report will display two new columns: “Average display position” and “Average click position.” Please click here to learn more how these averages are calculated. But the main idea is to give an advertiser a clue in what positions his ads are showing up and where they get most clicks.
Things to keep in mind:
- The average position can rank from 1 to 12.
- The average position value is a decimal value. For example, for an average position of 2.22, the ad copy usually appears in the second or third position in the SERP. An average position of a 6.9 places the ad copy closer to the seventh position in the SERP
- Statistics have been collected for the period beginning July 1, 2014. In reports for earlier periods advertisers will see dashes in the graph next to average position.
- Only impressions and clicks on ad blocks found on the first page of Yandex search results are taken into account when calculating average position. If ads were not displayed in those positions during the period indicated, then an advertiser will see a dash next to average position in the graph.
Conversion Data in Yandex.Direct
“Conversions” graph is now available in the statistics reports and can be found in the Direct interface and API. The graph represents the number of targeted visits. The system calculates these numbers using Yandex.Metrica data on completed goals. Conversions info is now shown in all report types including Report wizard and xls exports. Thanks to this improvement it will be easier for an advertiser to track conversions and to evaluate campaign’s overall performance.
We hope advertisers find this summary useful and they will make a good use of it to improve their paid search campaigns efficiencies even further. We wish all a great holiday season with growing conversions, strong revenues and fantastic profits in Yandex!